Planning the build
Why build an extension?
Initial design sketches
On-line Building Regs
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation

 Floor screed
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
 Material costs
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing


Twelve months on - some little bits!

Well it's twelve months on since I 'completed' the extension and I've eventually got round to finish off the last few bits and pieces. I deserved a rest!

The main job was to cut and replace the slab around the extension.

It took me a morning with an 8" angle grinder to cut all the slabs to size. As the slabs were 20 years old, they were rather hard! So I cut small slots along the marked lines and then used a bolster chisel and lump hammer to break them along the slot.





I didn't make too many mistakes for a change!









The last few slabs...








I also completed the step outside of the back door.

I also added a bit at the bottom of the door to prevent rain from ingressing.







It took me another half day to lay the slabs on concrete and another half day to mortar between the joints. Fortunately, I picked two days where it didn't rain - quite unusual for this year.

Back to home