Planning the build
Why build an extension?
Initial design sketches
On-line Building Regs
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation

 Floor screed
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
 Material costs
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing


The gas men cometh...

Friday, 18th May: A busy day today - the gas men arrived at 08:00 to move my gas pipe as discussed here.

You can clearly see here how I built the wall over the gas pipe by leaving a few bricks out.

Task one is to clamp off the pipe...

and then cut it off...

A manometer was then used to check that the pipe did not have any leaks up to the meter.

An additional two feet of gas pipe was added using two joints.
The clever bit is that the plastic joints have electrical heating coils inside of them...
When an electrical current is passed through the coils the pipe and the joint melt together to form a gas proof joint.
Job done! It only took an hour and I was then able to fill the gap in the bottom of the wall with bricks.

I can now fill in the foundations!

However, the weather is so good today I decided to get on with the task of brick laying.
Back to home