Planning the build
Why build an extension?
Initial design sketches
On-line Building Regs
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation

 Floor screed
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
 Material costs
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing


Utility Room walls

Thursday, 9th August: I first built the frame on the door wall...
Cut a piece of plasterboard to size and cut holes for the light switch and power point.

I then nailed the board to the frame...
I finished by building the frame around the door and adding the plasterboard. All I need to do is fill holes and sand and add plasterboard around the edge of the door.

Friday, 10th August: Spent the day plastering, filling and sanding.

I also added the architrave around the back door.

Saturday, 11th August: Filing and sanding, filling and sanding.

The only light relief came from fitting the architrave around the ceiling access hole.

Nearly there though!

Monday, 13th August: I painted the ceiling white today.

The other half of the ceiling
Tuesday, 14th August: Undercoating wood work today...

The window frame and the door...

I ordered the 22mm double glazing units for the windows today - it'll take a week and then I can finish the windows.

Wednesday, 15th August: I installed the new internal door between the extension and the kitchen today.


Painted the woodwork with white gloss paint.

Friday, 17th August: I gave the walls an initial coat of emulsion.

I also added some of the wall cladding so that I could get the radiator it it's final position.
Saturday, 18th August: I fitted the utility room light and the extractor fan (as required by by the Building Regulations Surveyor today.

I also had to use an energy saving bulb - again for the Building Regulations Surveyor.

The string on the left is the extractor on/off pull.
I finished putting cladding on the window wall this morning...
I'm very happy with the result.
Sunday 26th August: I cut a piece of 12mm MDF to cover the access to the loft.

Monday, 27th August: I assembled and installed the utility room cupboard today.
Wednesday, 29th August: I fixed the last section of cladding this morning.

Sunday, 2nd September: Out with the paint brush today! I undercoated the cladding...

Tuesday, 4th September: I spent much of the day applying white gloss paint - I HATE painting! However, it's all starting to look finished.

Back to home